Friday, October 21, 2011

Booty Duty

We, as parents, are in the business of taking care of all of our babies business and diaper rashes are....the business!  Man those things are persistant and their sweet little bottoms need our help!  Can you imagine depending on someone to make sure your pants were dry?!?! Better yet can you imagine not being able to tell that person that you are wet? Oh the defeat! Sometimes I feel so bad when I open a super soaked diaper, poor guy, its got to feel like a swamp down there.  My dude has had quite the rash as of late.  I have been reading that getting his new set of chompers could be part of the problem.  Nevertheless, I have been on a mighty mission to relieve him of it. 

Since I have been waging war with this stubborn enemy, I have found a few things that work so I thought I would share.  Now, I am not a doctor!  I am just a mommy doin' the thing, so I would encourage anyone to call their Pediatrician about anything that seems out of the ordinary when it comes to their little. 

Two days passed of using diaper cream and there was no change, in fact it was getting worse.  I called the doctor to see about a new rememdy.  At this point she said she felt like it had morphed into yeast...sad.  Like a butt rash isn't bad enough....

Yeast is not just a lady problem because all it needs is a dark, damp area to set up shop in - enter my sons diaper and sweet baby fat folds.  According to BabyCenter.com, you can tell it is yeast if in a few days your efforts with diaper rash cream and powder do not help.  It typically looks like little pin dots known as 'satilite lesions' as opposed to just a pink patch, but a lot of pin dots can mesh into a large patch so look carfully at the edges of the site to see if you can see what looks like pin dots and raised borders.  If your eyes behold these dots, its time for the big guns.  My pediatrician recommended the following steps to take to help get rid of this unwelcomed visitor. 

1) Get some Lotrimin or Miconazole Nitrate and apply it four times a day to the site
2) Use powder or cornstarch during the other diaper changes to keep the area dry
2) Change diapers frequently as to keep the buns dry
3) Stop using wipes and start using a wet washcloth for every change.  Wipes can spread the yeast and slow healing.  Also for every poopy diaper, a quick rinse in the sink would be best.  The stool is acidic, irritating the yeast rash.  This has increased my laundry but it has helped my dude and that is my job right??  Well so is the laundry...... I am a stay-at-home-mommy
4) Let the booty air out completely before applying the cream/powder and slappin' on the next diaper
5) Some play time with no diaper on is good
6) Natural sunlight, yeast hates it.  So strip the baby down and open the window shades, shed some light on the problem!! (you know you smiled at my word play)

I also added baking soda soaks to the mix.  A small tub or sink full of warm water and 1/4 of cup baking soda helps restore the normal acid base balance and soothe the area.  With some determination and consistancy coupled the above mentioned methods, I am happy to report that Jacksons issue is clearing up.  I have been applying Aquaphor to the area to help heal the dry skin now that the yeast has backed off as well applying Desitin at night since he goes longer without a diaper change.  The Desitin really shields from the wetness.  I have put the 'Butt Paste' on the shelf for the time being, it has proved just to be a 'cute name'. 

God's Word says that we are to be 'more that conquerors' in Romans 8 and while it is the inspired writer of Romans has our spiritual lives and freedom from sin in mind I have put this verse to use on my diaper rash issue because I believe God's Word is to be applied to all things in life.  So with that said, we are 'more than conquerors', the rash is gone and we have learned how to battle it next time. 

Can I get an AMEN!

No comments:

Post a Comment