Friday, July 29, 2011

Colic, and Cookies and Gas- OH MY!!

If you are like me, you cringe at the word 'colic' and if you don't cringe you have clearly never experienced it and I consider you a lucky duck!  This post will serve as a support group for all of you who have survived or are trying to survive a crying baby.  When those little guys come out, the world as they knew it is dramatically different, who wouldn't cry.  But cry and cry and cry, is that really necessary?? My little man was a crier for about 4 weeks, read that again, 4 weeks.  Now I know some of you had a crier for 3 months or even 6 and for that you deserve a metal of honor given to you by the President of the United States himself!  4 weeks was long enough for this mommy! Colic is a mysterious condition where a healthy baby will often cry for hours on end, never to be consoled, without any reason.  My little one kicked, grunted and tooted as he cried so I was sure he had tummy issues.  The doctor said that dreaded word 'colic' to me when I took him in.  She suggested I do acrobats while holding him in order to console him.  Um, excuse me, I am way too tired to perform acrobats!!

This book was a blessing
It helped me realize that "Unlike adults, babies cry out of need not emotion." So when your baby is crying, its is not because they dislike you as their mom or are sad because you put them down...NO...they NEED something - food, sleep, quiet time, new scenery, diaper, a poop.  Remember this, a crying baby does not mean you stink as a mom!!!!!!!!!  I wish I would have read this book in the beginning weeks of my mommyhood or even the fews leading up to delivery. I highly recommend it.

I also took advice from.....

The SHHHHHing sounds, swaddling concepts and sucking concepts were such help to me!!

When these things didn't work I turned to these for comfort
Only to find out that chocolate gives babies gas.........causing them to cry..........DARN IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So then I decided I was gonna keep the cookies in my life (a girl has got to be happy) and just give Jackson A LOT of this.....

I am here to encourage you that this time of tears for both you and your baby will end even though as you read this you may say 'no way'.  There were days when I was SURE both me and my baby would cry forever!!  So eat your cookies, buy some Mylicon, read those books and show that Colic who is boss!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment