Wednesday, August 17, 2011

3 months - Insert New Baby Here

I spent the first 2 months of Jackson's life in sheer survival mode.  In this state of mind I was doing things I said I would NEVER do......just to make it past another day.  "I never liked the taste of crow but baby I ate it" as The Band Perry sings.  I have learned to not make such bold statements about what I will or will not do with regards to a situation that I have never been in.  *mmmmm love me some humble pie*  

I had a million people telling me 'it will get better, I promise' and while it is I appreciated their encouragement, I started to hate that phrase because it felt like NOTHING was getting better.  Words of that nature are unable to be received properly by a new mommy, there is no light at the end of the baby vortex at that point.  I started to struggle with feelings of inadequacy because things were not getting better.....didn't everyone just say things would get better?? Why hadn't that started for me?

Two months brought some relief as Jackson cracked his first smile on purpose.  Its amazing what a little crooked smile on his face did for this mama's heart.  I thought back on the phrase 'it will get better' because at that moment it was a little better.

'I lift my eyes to the hills - where does my help come from? My help comes from the Lord, the Maker of heaven and earth' Psalm 121:1-2

We hit the two and a half month mark and it felt like we were on a high speed rail to a happier place.  His play time started lasting longer, his jags of crying started to shorten and he was coo'ing more than crying.  I thought back on the phrase 'it will get better' realizing it was better.

'The God of heaven will give us success' Nehemiah 2:20

This brings me to three months.  I love three months.  Three month old Jackson is nothing like 2 month old Jackson, I have a new baby.  Don't get me wrong, I loved 2 month old Jackson but I actually GET 3 month old J so much more.  His play time is now interactive, he talks with me, smiles in response to me, sits in his Bumbo and loves when I sing (God bless him)!  He is sleeping at night and less gassy.  I think back to the phrase 'it will bet better' and think......'it HAS gotten better'.

'Now to Him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask, or imagine, according to his power that is at work within us' Ephesians 3:20

Three months was my magic number.  It was the moment it all came together for me. (well at least for now)  From now on I will be telling my new mommy friends, to wait for three months.
Happy 3 month birthday son - You, me, daddy and Jesus - we did it!

1 comment:

  1. I am so glad things have gotten better! He is SUCH a cutie :-)

    ReplyDelete