Friday, August 12, 2011

Date Nights....remember those!

Now if you laughed when you saw the title because you don't even use those two words anymore, I can relate!  Becoming a new mommy hit me like a MAC truck traveling at 75mph that I didn't even see coming.  I went from being a social butterfly to being a couch dweller and master of the DVR in 2.2 seconds.  It was a shocking change for me and I felt like I needed to have a mini funeral for my 'old life'.

*insert funeral march song here*

In this time of FB, text and Twitter it was hard for me to sit on my perfectly indented couch holding my newborn reading about all the fun things my friends and family were up to.  No one hates to miss out on a party more than me and I believe I have passed this trait onto my son because he fights sleep as if he doesn't want to miss the party!! *great*  Now, more than missing time with my friends I was missing time with my husband big time.  We hadn't eaten dinner together in weeks because one of us would hold our fussy baby and the other would scarf, then we would switch.  We hadn't sat together on the couch in weeks because there were bottles to clean and a baby to bounce.  We hadn't watched a movie together because we were both too tired.  And the sound of my breast pump always drowned out any conversation we attempted to have.

Are you in this boat??

A newborn temporarily interrupts marriages and I say 'temporarily' because our son is almost 3 months old and I feel like we have time for our marriage again.  I think one of the biggest mistakes we could make during these next few months is not finding time for each other.  The first month or two warrants a free pass due to the survival mode you both are in but once things even out its important to find each other again.

Outings as a family are the new normal but you can't forget about those date nights - just you and your husband!  Date nights stretch us as new mommies - we have to LEAVE our babies *dun dun dun* but girlfriend, we GOT to!!  For the sake of our marriages, we got to.  For the sake of our sanity, we got to.  Even if its just for an hour, get dressed and go on a date with your husband.  I needed it.  I needed to be alone with my man without have to binkie anyone to finish my sentence. 

My guy got us tickets to a concert for our first outing and it seemed like too long to leave my 3 week old....I was nervous!  Leaving my baby was like a 12 step program.....
  
Step 1 - A sitter I trust, someone who has raised kids - GRANDMA! 
Step 2 - Over packing his diaper bag with every amenity he may need and I repeat OVER PACKING 
Step 3 - Including the Dr's exchange # as well as the Urgent Care # for emergencies
Step 4 - Double check with my hubs - 'are you sure we should leave him'
Step 5 - go over my over packed bag with Grandma so she knew where everything was

And so on....you get the picture!!   I was not afraid to look like a wild animal as I explained to my 'babysitter' what the baby needed.  It was like I had forgotten that my babysitter had, in fact, raised 3 healthy kids (my husband included) because I still felt the need to explain everything I had packed, AYE!!!  She knew it made me feel better so she just smiled and listened.  Well, it was a fabulous night and guess what....Jackson survived without me!!!! Ahhhhh sweet release!  Getting over that first night away was the first hurdle and from that point on it has been a breeze.  We have gone on many dates since then. *so there is hope for new mommies*  Cheers to date nights and finding our marriages again in the midst of Planet Newborn!!

Tim McGraw!!!

*HAPPY*


No comments:

Post a Comment