Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Flirty, Thirty and Thriving....well minus the flirty

The tag line from the movie 13 going on 30 kept coming to mind as I celebrated my 30th birthday this past weekend!!  I say minus the flirty because I really don't fall under that category anymore unless you consider batting my eyelashes at a 4 month old to get him to smile to be 'flirty'.  In that case......I am still flirty!  I still can't believe I am 30, 3-0, Treinta (that is 30 in Spanish).  The years 27 and 28 lagged but 29 flew...I think its because I spent most of it pregnant.  I would expect being a human crockpot to drastically slow down anyones' year but for me it passed by fast.  I think I also have my mom to thank for my ability to embrace each year gained.  I never saw her fret over turning another year older, she accepted it so gracefully, so thanks Mom.  

I kinda look at my 20's like a game of golf.  You got the 'front 9' and the 'back 9' and together it makes your overall score for the course.  My 'front 9' did not have a very promising score....in fact I spent most of it in one sand trap after another.  Oh, but the 'back 9', the beautiful 'back 9' had such a better score.  I'd say it was full of eagles, birdies and pars.  I have my Redeemer to thank for that.  To my front 9 I would say, Praise the Lord 'who works ALL things for good according to his purpose' Romans 8:28 and to my back 9 I would say Praise the Lord 'who can do immeasurable more that I ask, or imagine, according to his power that is at work within me' Philippians 3:20.  He did immeasurably more that I could have imagined.... I graduated college, met and married my husband, had my first child, saw many wonderful friends get married, saw many babies be born, settled into a church, started a bible study for women at my home and if I wanted to, the list could go on and on.

I am excited about 30 because Job 12 says 'is not wisdom found among the aged? Does not long life bring understanding?'  Since this is the case, I say bring on the age and bring on the long life because I want WISDOM!!  Now that I am a mommy, I would trade age for wisdom in a hot second.  I am always envious of the things my elders say or have said to me; its so full of perspective and experience.  It creates in me such a moment of clarity and I pray I am able to do that for my children someday.

James 4 tells me that I 'have not because I ask not'.  Lord give me wisdom, your kind of wisdom, that I might better raise my children and show them more of you.

James 1 says that 'if any of us lacks wisdom, ask God, who give generously to all without finding fault, and it will be given to us'  Lord, thank you that by the Cross, I am worthy to receive this kind of wisdom.  Create in me a clean heart that I might better use the wisdom I ask for.  Thank you for being so generous to me, I know that without you, I could not do anything.

Scripture is telling me that I did not have to wait till 30 to start asking for wisdom but for some reason it is the year in which I realize its worth.  I cannot wait to see what God and I do together during this next decade.  I am thirty and thriving.

On this birthday, I ask for wisdom and I do it for my son.

1 comment: